Music in Nigeria was considered a profession for the have-nots. Wealthy and elite parents in the past may even disown their children for opting for such a career instead of the 'serious' professions. Many years back, the likes of legendary King Sunny Ade (a prince from Ondo state) had to abscond from home to be able to practice music.Still, majority of the musicians in the country right now are from very poor background, and you can often hear them sing about the ghettos and streets where they come from, not to talk of their hardship before fame. The impression however seems to be changing little by little as there have recently been an influx of the children of the wealthy, high and mighty into the music scene. Nowadays, the affluent even encourage their children to go into the profession especially as there are surplus examples of successful musicians who wine and dine with even the most powerful people in the world.In this exclusive report, Morakinyo Olugbiji brings you 10 of such Nigerian music stars from very wealthy homes. You’d be surprised who you would find on the list…..
1. Davido: The father of David Adeleke popularly known as Davido, Deji Adeleke, is a billionaire businessman while his uncle, Isiaka Adeleke, was a former governor of Osun state. Davido's father is the chairman of Keplo Pacific Energy, a company into banking, steel, power and energy.
2. Naeto C: Naetochukwu Chikwe a. k. a Naeto C is the son of former Aviation Minister, former Chairperson, Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and former Ambassador to Ireland, Mrs Kema Chikwe who currently holds the position of National Women Leader of the opposition party, People's Democratic Party (PDP). Naeto C's father is a also reportedly wealthy businessman.
3. Lynxxx: Real name is Chukie Edozien, his father, John Edozien, was the first Deputy Governor of the old Bendel State, now Delta State. He is also the chairman of Mercedes Benz Automobile Services Limited, among many other companies he owns. He's also a director in several companies including Linkage Assurance Plc and Diamond Bank Plc. Lynxxx is the only son of his parents,yet they fully support him.
4. DJ Cuppy: Florence Otedola popularly known as DJ Cuppy is the daughter of billionaire businessman and CEO of Forte Oil, Femi Otedola. Singer and Disc Jockey, DJ Cuppy had been playing big in the UK social scene before recently returning home. Also, her grandfather, Late Sir Michael Otedola was a Former Governor of Lagos state. Cuppy was once officially dressed officially as a Tourism Ambassador for the nation's 'Fascinating Nigeria' campaign under former President Goodluck Jonathan and was also the official DJ at President Mohammadu Buhari’s Inaugural ball. Her dad is her number one fan and he even embarked on a fashion photoshoot with her sometime back on his yacht for a magazine publication.
5. Tillaman: Adeyemi Adetona popularly known as Tillaman is the son of HRH, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III, the Alafin of Oyo State. The singer was recently decorated an Oyo State Youth Musical Ambassador by the Oyo state Governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi.
6. Ozzybosco: Born Oziomachukwu Favour Mojekwu, Ozzybosco is currently Nigeria's most celebrated child artiste. The 10-year-old, has collaborated with several A-list artistes including MI, Olamide and Flavour. Don't be surprised, his parents are wealthy! His mother, Elizabeth Nonye Mojekwe, is an international business woman with various companies. Ozzybosco was even recently made an Ambassador for The Lagos State Waste Management Authority(LAWMA). The wonder-kid in fact released the official theme song of LAWMA titled "Keep Lagos Clean".
7. Waliyah: One of the new crops of female artistes repping the industry at the moment, only a few people knew that the singer is one of the daughters of late billionaire businessman and political icon Chief MKO Abiola. Waliyah tries a lot to keep mum on that.
8. Posly TD: 23 year old Posly TD was born Ifeoluwa Aderemi. Posly TD is from a Royal family, one of the grandsons of the first African Governor of the western region, the late Ooni of Ife, Sir adesoji Aderemi. Beyond being an amazing rapper, Posly TD is also a dancer and he sings too.
9. L. A. X: His real name is Damilare Afolabi and his father, Dr. Taiwo Afolabi (M. O. N) is a major stakeholder in the nation's maritime sector. He was once appointed the Honorary consul of the Republic of Djibouti with jurisdiction over the whole territory of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Dr. Afolabi, a barrister, is the Group Executive Vice-Chairman/CEO of Sifax Group. He is a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Financial Management (NIFM), and the Institute of Freight Forwarders of Nigeria (IFFN).
10. Falz The BadGuy: His real name is Folarin Falana, a fast rising Nigerian lawyer turned rapper. He is the only son of legal luminary,the one and only Femi Falana. Falz The Badguy read law at the University of Reading in the UK before he later went to the Nigerian Law School where he qualified as a Barrister. After graduation, Falz worked in his father’s chambers before venturing into music. He has also started acting in Nollywood movies. As you know, Femi Falana is not just an ordinary lawyer. He is in full support of his son’s choice of career and even graced the premiere of one of his videos recently.